From: Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9P reading directories client/server behavior
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 12:01:28 -0800	[thread overview]

nicolagi via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net> once said:
> The only question that still stands is the last in my original post:
> What happens and what should happen when a dir entry is larger than
> msize-24? Possibly written from a connection with a large msize, and to
> be read from a connection with a smaller msize?

In that case either the server or client lied about it's
msize and is not correctly speaking the 9p protocol.

From version(5):

        The client suggests a maximum message size, msize, that is
        the maximum length, in bytes, it will ever generate or ex-
        pect to receive in a single 9P message. This count includes
        all 9P protocol data, starting from the size field and ex-
        tending through the message, but excludes enveloping trans-
        port protocols. The server responds with its own maximum,
        msize, which must be less than or equal to the client's
        value. Thenceforth, both sides of the connection must honor
        this limit.

Cheers,
  Anthony