From: "adr via 9fans" <9fans@9fans.net>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Miller's 9pi image (rpi4) problems
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:38:13 +0000	[thread overview]

> The usb subsystem is known to be pretty rudimentary, and indeed with respect
> to power management /sys/src/cmd/usb/usbd/usbd.c:/^portattach is headed by
> this comment:
>  * BUG: does not consider max. power avail.
>
> Having said that, "It is impossible to use any usb disk" is possibly an
> overstatement.

Of course! I was talking about _me_ and  _my_disks_.

> Some disks will work, some won't. That's not necessarily
> a power management problem.

They are only recognized when powering them externally, and with
risk of freezing the system. Note also that usb3 devices are not
recognized on the usb3 ports (again...  I mean my usb3 devices).

> Some modern disks use the "UASP"
> protocol in preference to the traditional bulk-only mass storage protocol
> supported by the Plan 9 usbdisk driver. Even if the disk also supports
> bulk-only, the existing driver won't try to pick an alternate configuration
> to force the disk to fall back to that protocol. Below is a patch (tested on
> only one drive, as far as I know) which will make it do that.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

> As for your reported problem with webfs:
> > webfs: tlsClient: fd out of range or not open
> what exactly did you do which raised this error? I don't usually use webfs, but
> I've just tried it and made a successful tls connection to github with abaco.

I can connect to github too, and some other places. But if you surf the web
you'll end up with this error. Just a few If you want to do a test:

https://developer.arm.com
https://wikipedia.org
https://marc.info
https://www.perseus.tufts.edu