From: Humm <hummsmith42@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:55:05 +0000	[thread overview]

Quoth Antonio Barrones:
>Linux distros are not only "Linux", they are GNU/Linux.  Linux is only
>the kernel of a GNU/Linux system (a distro). Android is not a distro
>because they don't have GNU, but Android is "Linux" because it has
>Linux as kernel.

Linux distros are not only Linux, they are whatever other software they
consist of and Linux.  Some of that might be developed under the
umbrella of the GNU project, much of it likely isn’t.  The term
“GNU/Linux” is garbage.

Android is yet another operating system using Linux.  It seldom getting
called “Linux distro” stems from it being used very differently (Java
hell) and perhaps from how hard it is to see its Unix-like-ness.  That
has nothing to do with how much of it is part of the GNU project.

>It is not developed anymore in Bell Labs, but many of the original
>developers are part of the Plan9 Foundation and they are promoting it
>in different ways: https://plan9foundation.org/activities.html So
>I would not say that it "is not being developed anymore".

Patches for Plan 9 exist.  Forks exist.  Yet, Plan 9 stays the exact
same.  Plan 9 with patches is Plan 9 with patches.  9front is 9front.
Plan 9 has a modification timestamp of 2015.

 From the little I see, the Plan 9 Foundation changes little there.
Plan 9, with a timestamp of 2015, now is licensed under an Expat
license.  And retains its timestamp.

So no, Plan 9 is not being developed anymore.

--
Humm