* [9fans] kerTeX: Update for LaTeX3 compatibility
@ 2022-04-17 19:34 tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2022-04-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

LaTeX3 requires additional primitives neither present in TeX nor e-TeX
and I had hence to develop these primitives on the TeX/e-TeX engine. The
result is Prote (MIT licensed change file), compatible with TeX, with
e-TeX and providing the primitives required now by the latest LaTeX
developments. Some additional file handling had to be developed as
well (\input primitive) and this has been done too (this was a major
work also).

I have published a new version of kerTeX, with the LaTeX recipe
(latex.sh) updated as well so that kerTeX will progressively return
being really "live" that is: taking whatever is current on CTAN to
update packages with a seldom need to update the recipe itself (since I
was blocked by the new LaTeX development, I had to cache the "old"
versions of the CTAN packages on my site so that everything will not
fail due to the LaTeX evolution).

I have tested an early version on 9front/amd64 and there was no error.
If I find the time (I'm short on it right now) I will test it also with
9legacy/rpi.

Future directions: Prote is an uniq engine compatible with standard TeX,
with e-TeX and now with LaTeX requirements. I'd like to make it able to
be the formatting engine for *roff macros too so that an uniq program
will be able to do all. It still depends on nothing but only
on libc (with the exception of one file related primitive, it was even
only standard C libc, not requiring even POSIX.1). And it is
unencumbered.

FWIW,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/

* [9fans] kerTeX: Update for LaTeX3 compatibility
@ 2022-04-18  0:48 ` Atticus
From: Atticus @ 2022-04-18  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: tlaronde

Thierry,

Thanks for more excellent work on KerTeX. I don't use LaTeX myself, just
good old plain TeX, but I always turn to KerTeX for that.

There does seem to be some minor permissions issues on downloads.kergis.com
at the moment, affecting get_mk_install.sh, kertex_bundle.tar, and possibly
other files. Those two at least consistently return `403 Forbidden'.

The individual source tarballs don't seem to affected.

Thanks again for all the hard work,

-- Byron Grobe

On Sun, Apr 17, 2022, 14:35 <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> LaTeX3 requires additional primitives neither present in TeX nor e-TeX
> and I had hence to develop these primitives on the TeX/e-TeX engine. The
> result is Prote (MIT licensed change file), compatible with TeX, with
> e-TeX and providing the primitives required now by the latest LaTeX
> developments. Some additional file handling had to be developed as
> well (\input primitive) and this has been done too (this was a major
> work also).
>
> I have published a new version of kerTeX, with the LaTeX recipe
> (latex.sh) updated as well so that kerTeX will progressively return
> being really "live" that is: taking whatever is current on CTAN to
> update packages with a seldom need to update the recipe itself (since I
> was blocked by the new LaTeX development, I had to cache the "old"
> versions of the CTAN packages on my site so that everything will not
> fail due to the LaTeX evolution).
>
> I have tested an early version on 9front/amd64 and there was no error.
> If I find the time (I'm short on it right now) I will test it also with
> 9legacy/rpi.
>
> Future directions: Prote is an uniq engine compatible with standard TeX,
> with e-TeX and now with LaTeX requirements. I'd like to make it able to
> be the formatting engine for *roff macros too so that an uniq program
> will be able to do all. It still depends on nothing but only
> on libc (with the exception of one file related primitive, it was even
> only standard C libc, not requiring even POSIX.1). And it is
> unencumbered.
>
> FWIW,
> --
> Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
>              http://www.kergis.com/
>             http://kertex.kergis.com/
>                http://www.sbfa.fr/
> Key fingerprint = 0FF7 E906 FBAF FE95 FD89  250D 52B1 AE95 6006 F40C

* [9fans] Re: kerTeX: Update for LaTeX3 compatibility
@ 2022-04-18  6:29   ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2022-04-18  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Atticus; +Cc: 9fans

Hello,

Le Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 07:48:17PM -0500, Atticus a écrit :
> Thierry,
>
> Thanks for more excellent work on KerTeX. I don't use LaTeX myself, just
> good old plain TeX, but I always turn to KerTeX for that.

I don't use LaTeX myself, neither ;-)

> There does seem to be some minor permissions issues on downloads.kergis.com
> at the moment, affecting get_mk_install.sh, kertex_bundle.tar, and possibly
> other files. Those two at least consistently return `403 Forbidden'.

There seems to be spurious (and recent) problems with the server. The
permissions are OK, but I have encountered too random problems
(killing the download and restarting always solved it). I don't host the
server (it is an ISP) and I will have to try to find what has been going wrong
recently (maybe the CDN that I selected at one moment; then disabled
because there were problems; and since I renewed the lending, perhaps it
has been reset back).

Thanks for the report and the encouragement!

Best,

T. Laronde