2006/7/24, Andrew Hudson : > > Since Microsoft just decided to release its Virtual PC virtualization > product for free I decided to give it a spin and see how Plan 9 worked > as a virtualized OS. I downloaded Virtual PC from here > (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/downloads/sp1.mspx) and > installed it on a Proliant server with a 2.4 GHz Xeon processor, 1.3 > GB of RAM, and a 15K SCSI disk, Windows 2000 Server. Virtual PC > complained that it was only supported on Windows 2003 and Windows XP > but seemed to install fine. > > At the partdisk prompt I was not able to install a Master Boot Record > (mbr) in Virtual PC's virtual disk partition and so the installation > stopped dead. Does anyone have any insight to this problem or a > possible work-aounrd? Running Plan 9 under the now free Virtual PC > would eliminate a lot of hardware compatibility headaches and make > Plan 9 more accessible to a large number of people running Windows. > > - Andrew I've got running Plan9 in a Virtual PC 5.3.582.27 (not free), with XP in an Acer Aspire AMD 2.0GHz (Sempron 3000, 1GB RAM) and tipycal hardware. When it asked me about mbr, it offered to create a new mbr, I said "y" and installation continued without problems. It copied filesystem very slow, around one hour. Elbing