* [9fans] troff .XP
@ 2008-10-26 23:15 john
From: john @ 2008-10-26 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

After a long day writing a paper for my psych class, it came time for
me to make the reference page, using the APA format (see
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/06/).  I was looking at
an online troff manual, which said that the .XP macro in the MS macro
set should do exactly what I want for the references...  but we don't
seem to have .XP in Plan 9 troff.

Has anyone here written a similar macro for Plan 9?  I'm a bit fried
after a lot of paper-writing and some Matlab work this afternoon or
I'd try to figure something out from the troff manual.

Thanks

John

* Re: [9fans] troff .XP
@ 2008-10-27  0:00 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2008-10-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Forsyth ported refer(1) to plan9, which is what I use,
I have copied his email below.

-Steve

> i've the variant in use in sources/contrib/forsyth/refer.tgz. see INSTALL.
> it could do with much more work (on the strange
> source file partitioning, and more seriously on all those fixed-size char
> arrays),
> but at least a few of the ancient problems have been corrected
> (limits on list memory size, and a buggy implementation of aho-corasick).  i've
> used it
> for years without too much fuss.  one difference from earlier ones
> is that you're required to use refer/pubindex.

* Re: [9fans] troff .XP
@ 2008-10-27  0:39 ` john
From: john @ 2008-10-27  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> After a long day writing a paper for my psych class, it came time for
> me to make the reference page, using the APA format (see
> http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/06/).  I was looking at
> an online troff manual, which said that the .XP macro in the MS macro
> set should do exactly what I want for the references...  but we don't
> seem to have .XP in Plan 9 troff.
>
> Has anyone here written a similar macro for Plan 9?  I'm a bit fried
> after a lot of paper-writing and some Matlab work this afternoon or
> I'd try to figure something out from the troff manual.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Really what I want here is .HP from -man but if I use -man I get
really ugly fonts...  yet if I copy over the .de HP chunk from tmac.an
into my .ms file, the formatting doesn't work properly.

John

* Re: [9fans] troff .XP
@ 2008-10-27  2:47   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-10-27  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)