* [9fans] Drawterm GPU (was: Software philosophy)
@ 2021-08-22 12:10 Stuart Morrow
From: Stuart Morrow @ 2021-08-22 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 22/08/2021, Eli Cohen <echoline@gmail.com> wrote:
> deep learning is another interest of mine too. hardware support is a
> big deal for that... some kind of support for GPUs would be nice.
> people have discussed that for years... hardware drivers are difficult
> and important to do correctly!

There's virtio_gpu, which I assume is less hairy and better-documented
than real hardware. I think it's graphics-purpose-only. Maybe you'd be
better-off just supporting cards that *only* do ML/NN acceleration?
There's open-source ones.

Also:
> people have discussed that for years

They have?  I mean I might have seen occasionally someone vaguely
going "some sort of GPU support would be cool to have".  That isn't
discussion.

* Re: [9fans] Software philosophy
@ 2021-08-18 22:00 Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2021-08-18 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what is all the friction actually about here?? the most important
philosophical question always ends up the same, how can we figure out
a good formula for not being jerks?

I have ended up using 9front more and more, obviously. 9front was
started specifically to address the fact that Plan 9 from Bell Labs
didn't run on most computers... If I have any feeling at all about it,
it's that there's room for another fork that is an even simpler
research platform. in other discussions people say, why do we have
things that aren't relevant? We all love catclock, email... some users
may only want plan 9 for that... some people also discussed even
removing compiled binaries as much as possible. mostly, I like the
idea of plan 9 that runs on the computer I have... but I understand
that for a lot of reasons other people don't necessarily feel the same
way.

we wouldn't be here if we didn't agree Plan 9 is the best OS design.
and they're all free software. 9front has some very interesting things
that 9legacy can (and does) use as patches. it's just actually
difficult to write software, for some value of difficulty.

there's a lot of shit going on in the world today... we all gathered
here to agree Plan 9 is great software, then just be rude to each
other because...? I really don't understand, I'm not exaggerating.
what is the actual disagreement here?