From: "David Hendricks" <david.hendricks@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] google.com job search
Date: Fri,  3 Aug 2007 11:39:08 -0700	[thread overview]

A couple quick comments to clear things up here...

On 8/2/07, Gregory Pavelcak <g.pavelcak@comcast.net> wrote:

> I assume that since many of you, unlike me, really are
> programmers, or software engineers as google seems to
> like to call them, you have gotten these emails before too.

Yep ;-) And there are lots of great jobs for non-programmers as well so
don't be shy about your talent. If you're a hard worker and into geeky
things we've probably got an opening for you.

What I'm curious about is why I got the email. The sender
> said that she had seen some of my online posts. Is it just
> because I post to 9fans and have posted to various FreeBSD
> mailing lists? Does google just use its own search capabilities
> and send out periodic posts to people in certain groups? What
> sort of search criteria do you think they use?

We use an army of recruiters and sourcers who relentlessly search for
promising candidates. No bots or untargeted solicitations (spam) or anything
of that nature, though it wouldn't surprise me if people on this list tend
to show up brighter on their radar than people elsewhere on the web. My
guess is that your visibility here and on other mailing lists helped a lot
in that regard.

I think I know the person you're talking about -- she's one of the more tech
savvy recruiters I've known and can be seen poaching talent from various
expos, trade shows, conferences and wherever else people with relevant
experience tend hang out on-line and off. She's also a really cool person
and I recommend talking with her. If you are at all interested, please don't
hesitate to send your resume directly to us or you may go through
www.google.com/jobs .