* [9fans] bootes and factotum and pull?
@ 2004-08-24 15:16 Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2004-08-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

a bit of a beginners question.

In order to do a pull when logged onto my cpu/auth/venti/fossil server
as bootes, I need to connect to sources.cs.bell-labs.com (via
servermount() in the replica dist script).  If I do that from a plain
bootes login on my server, I get a failure to set up the connection,
as I do not have the authentication details.  Factotum does not ask
for anything, as it is running in server mode.

Is the proper way to deal with this to have bootes start its own
factotum from its profile?

Thanks,
Robby

* Re: [9fans] bootes and factotum and pull?
@ 2004-08-24 15:40 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-08-24 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is the proper way to deal with this to have bootes start its own
> factotum from its profile?

yes, or just start it by hand before you do a pull (i have it in a script)...

to test without all the replica fuss just run '9fs sources' -- if that
succeeds the pull should be fine.

* Re: [9fans] bootes and factotum and pull?
@ 2004-08-24 16:06 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-08-24 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Re bootes authenticating onto sources

cpu servers run auth/factotum at boot by default, you just need
to populate it with passwords and then bootes can connect to
things like any other user.

I run this in my cpurc:

	auth/secstore -n -G factotum | read -m >> /mnt/factotum/ctl

and added sources to bootes secstore. The -n arg asks secstore to
collect bootes password from the nvram so the server can still boot-up
unattended.

-Steve