* [9fans] problems with rc as login shell
@ 2008-05-06 13:18 lejatorn
From: lejatorn @ 2008-05-06 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

When I tried switching my login shell from bash to rc (installed in
/opt/plan9/bin/rc here) I stumbled upon 2 problems:

1) /usr/local/plan9/rcmain: rc (-rc): .: can't open: No such file or
directory

That got fixed by symlinking /usr/local/plan9 to /opt/plan9, but I
suppose there is a better solution, isn't there?

2) $home/lib/profile didn't get read.

As sqweek found out, it was because the command 'test' in

$PLAN9/rcmain: if(flag l && test -r $home/lib/profile) . $home/lib/profile

fails since $path is not yet set at this point.

So replacing 'test' with '/bin/test' worked for me, but again I expect
there might be a better way to fix that. It actually made me wonder if the
line

if(flag p) path=(/bin /usr/bin)

could not be replaced with something usefull for that issue, especially
since man rc says rc -p is a no op?

Cheers,
Mathieu.

* Re: [9fans] problems with rc as login shell
@ 2008-05-06 16:14 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-05-06 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've run all kinds of wierd things as my login shell.
but it's really an uphill battle.  the wierdist thing i've
gotten to work well is byron's rc.

plan b is generally to fire up the One True Rc
in your bashrc or login or or whatever the current
proper bash idiom is — after setting $PLAN9.

- erik