From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Using cwfs
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:55:24 -0400	[thread overview]

> I've already told Akumar offlist, just writing it to the list for
> documentation:
> that auto sleep mode on seagates can be disabled on linux (dunno about
> *BSD) as well with sdparm. I don't remember the args for sure, but
> probably something like
> 'sdparm -c STANDBY /dev/sdX#'
> then
> 'sdparm -s /dev/sdX#'
> to save.

if you have an ata drive and you're using contrib quanstro/sd,
atazz can do the same thing

chula# atazz /dev/sdC0
az> idle sc 0
az> set features disable apm
az>

atazz isn't a magic swiss army knife like (hd|sd)parm.  you can think
of it like a drive console.  imagine you have a glass tty plugged into
your ra05.  except a bazillion times more complicated.

if the drive doesn't support the apm feature set, the second command
will not be supported, but the drive will always be in full-power mode.

the rub is that you must reset these values each time you connect to
an ata device.  the settings can't be saved.  fortunately, the sata drivers
all set the power mode on startup.  you could script atazz to get ide
drivers as well.

if you have a scsi drive, you can do this with scuzz.  you'll need to
cobble together the correct modeselect10 bytes by hand.  i've done
this before, but don't happen to have the correct stuff handy.  sorry.
i should have added the correct incantations when i was working with
it.

- erik