From: Gregory Pavelcak <g.pavelcak@comcast.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Fs64 file server, partition boundaries out of range
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:44:37 -0400	[thread overview]

Just to follow up. When I try to copyworm with c[w0w1]f{h0h2}, or
f{h0h2}, or fh0 I get the following right after `beginning copyworm in
8 seconds'

fworm: read 0
i/o error reading fh0 block 0
panic: no blocks to copy on fh0
cpu 0 exiting

I should say that things like history, yesterday, 9fs dump have
been working as advertised, so I do have a functioning worm.

I also tried to make main h0 and be explicit about the fake worm-ness
of output, which I hadn't been before (filsys output f{w2w3}). This
was definitely different. For one, it took even longer than my other
tries. But, instead of the `copyworm finished ... looping ... reset
any time' message, it had rebooted itself.

I'm going to stop this effort for a little while. At least until I get
console logging set up, so that I can be sure to be accurate when
I report what happened.

Thanks again.

Greg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Geoff Collyer 7 Aug 2006 wrote:

I think I understand your problem now.  If you were copying a fake
worm to a device of identical size, you could use copydev from h0, but
when copying a fake worm, you need to use copyworm from fh0 or
possibly even your normal main (c[w0w1]f{h0h2}).

check reports an fsize of 712733, so that's the highest block number
so far consumed by your fake worm, and is what copyworm should print
as your limit (plus or minus a few blocks) when you copy from fh0 or
your normal main.  When you copied from h0, copyworm just used the
size of h0 as its upper limit.

Perhaps copyworm should complain if the source file system does not
contain a worm.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2895 bytes --]

From: geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:29:16 -0400

You have to set up console logging yourself on a cpu server, like this:

	aux/clog /mnt/consoles/fileserver /sys/log/fileserver &

where "fileserver" is the name of your file server.  This assumes
you've already got consolefs(4) configured, running and mounted, and
that you've got the file server's serial console configured and wired
up to a serial port on the cpu server doing the logging.  Add this to
your file server's plan9.ini:

console=0 baud=9600

It's a bit of work to set up, but very handy.  Not only do you get a
console log, but you can access the console from any of your Plan 9
machines with:

	C fileserver