From: "Ethan Gardener" <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Flakey DNS server
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 11:54:20 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020, at 4:48 AM, Lucio De Re wrote:
> *** no longer on topic ***

> So, on a lighter note: for all my dislike of multi-media and how it
> has taken over the Internet, I find youtube's collection of music from
> my teens very enjoyable, in some kind of extreme nostalgia - and the
> comments from many others who mirror my sentiments also somewhat
> reassuring (I believe critics call that an "echo chamber"); that's my
> own idea of "mellowing".

I get that. Someone reminded me of Thin Lizzy the other day, and youtube of course made it very convenient to hear them again. Also, some of the best times in my life involved a terribly badly-coded server-client system with a painfully bad GUI! I'm not sure how that happened, but it did. There were some good design features in that system.

> On another, weirdly related note, I wonder if anyone else who may be
> following developments of the Go language have noted the recent shift
> from email identities that at least resemble human names and surnames
> to the most extraordinary monikers. I have been subscribed to gerrit's
> stream of change requests for quite a while and the change has really
> given me cause for concern. I do plan to stop receiving those
> notifications as soon as I can figure how to unsubscribe in bulk.
>
> My heart goes out to Russ, Rob and Ian Taylor as well as the many
> others who need to deal with that flow of consciousness.

I wouldn't be too worried, politeness is the new punk. I had a very polite friend who wore a most extraordinary mohawk with waistcoat, pocket watch, neatly pressed trousers and patent leather shoes. Somehow, even the mohawk looked smart. Besides, this may be a return to the sensible practice of not putting your real identity online. I recently found reasons to wish I'd kept to that, although I thankfully haven't had any real problems from it.

~ eekee ~