From: Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com>
To: plan9dev@googlegroups.com
Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] Re: [plan9dev] Re: Cross Post: Update the Wiki with what you are working on
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:53:48 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:50:15 -0700, Kenji
<okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> To write something to Wiki means to make it public.
> If someone want to try to do something, s/he can make
> contact with someone related directly without make it
> public.   I made contact with those persons, and I think
> it's all the neccessary things.

Yeah, but how do you know who to contact if you don't know what people
are working on.  Sorry Kenji, I think I'm still missing the point.

> Why we can be encouraged by writing the task s/he is now
> doing to make it public?  I think it's because too small members
> are doing developping Plan 9 now.   I' not developping Plan 9
> which beyonds my ability.    So, I'm depend on someone who
> can do it.   I only can contribute the community to make it richer
> by writing some applications for Plan 9.

That's great.  I think its important to note that Plan 9 is an entire
system, not just the OS -- developing/porting applications to Plan 9
(or even porting Plan 9 applications/technology to other systems) is
just as important as working on the core operating system.  The main
point is to expose the ideas in Plan 9 to a wider audience while
continuing to develop the system.

> Once, Labs devided man powers to Plan 9 and Inferno, and then
> both lost the enough power to develope them.  Now, we are deviding
> people into two groups, 9fans and this list, which I'm afraid also
> makes
> the power weaken...

Inferno was a spin-off from Plan 9, sharing many of the same core OS
components.  While its true that some of the researchers spent full
time developing things like Limbo and the Virtual Machine, I really
don't think it constituted a division of development power.

The two mailing lists don't really represent a split, many people read
both (and I apologize to all those people for all the cross-posting).
However, 9fans is more of a users-list while 9dev is intended as more
of a developer's list with a lower S/N ratio.  There's no talk about
forking the Plan 9 code.

We're all in it together Kenji.

     -eric