* [9fans] 9P2000 Protocol Specification
@ 2005-02-28 21:12 Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-02-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: v9fs-developer, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Uck.  Let me just say, I hate RFCs, I hate XML, and I really think
I'll dislike the whole process.  But for what's it worth: initial stab
conforming to Internet-Draft format-restrictions at the very least is
at http://v9fs.sf.net/rfc

Yes - it's just the man pages cut-and-pasted into their template.  No
- its not finished.  It's a starting point for fleshing out the
documentation of the actual protocol (and will be shortly joined by a
9P2000.u RFC).  I figure this might be a more digestible form for the
liunix guys (particularly once I flesh out the content a bit more) --
this whole exercise is motivated by my attempt to get the v9fs project
accepted into the Linux kernel mainstream.

Source is in (v9fs.sf.net) CVS under v9fs/doc/rfc -- there's actually
a bunch of different swags at it there, but current stuff is generated
from 9p.xml (which there is a set of perl scripts on the net to
generate .roff, .html, or .txt from)

Comments/additions/etc. welcome from the 9fans community.  I've
started with Section 5 of the man pages, but my intent is to add/shape
content to flesh out the protocol loosely following the format of the
NFS RFCs (in particular RFC 3010 which is NFSv4).

Sorry if I have not given enough credit to the real authors - I'm
going to work on that too, making it very clear that I'm just a
scribe.  I'm also going to track down and tack on the appropriate
copyright/licensing information -- my only intent at this point is to
get others involved in helping me flesh things out, this is a very,
very, very early preliminary draft, so don't yell at me.

        -eric

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-02-28 21:12 UTC | newest]