* [9fans] xen -> direct 9p channel
@ 2008-05-07 14:05 Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-05-07 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

I've found some discussions about an direct 9P channel in xen
(so all devices can be served from dom0 via 9P, w/o hw emulation).
Does anyone know some bit more about this ?

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] xen -> direct 9p channel
@ 2008-05-07 14:12 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-05-07 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs
  Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 7:05 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> I've found some discussions about an direct 9P channel in xen
> (so all devices can be served from dom0 via 9P, w/o hw emulation).
> Does anyone know some bit more about this ?

it's an ericvh and lucho project, and it will be very nice when done!

the code is in the kernel, if you want to hack, start with lguest
because they're all the same devices in the end.

ron

* Re: [9fans] xen -> direct 9p channel
@ 2008-05-07 14:22 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2008-05-07 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs
  Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This was done in the context of an internal IBM project with a now
ancient version of Xen.  There was some share memory support added to
Inferno so it could act as a server.  Until recently these were
available in my home machine's Inferno repository.  A system reinstall
later and those public repositories are gone, but I should still have
the code in my IBM repositories.

However -- the better approach here would be to use virtio, but I'm
not what the current Xen stance is on virtio.  All that being said,
you'd probably be better off looking at KVM or lguest versus Xen for
Plan 9 hosting (which support virtio).

          -eric