* Re: [9fans] Multi-domain authentication?
@ 2008-10-21  0:49 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-21  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mirtchovski, 9fans

On Mon Oct 20 20:41:38 EDT 2008, mirtchovski@gmail.com wrote:
> > what kind of access would you give such users to the fileserver?
>
> in this specific example perhaps some minimal scratch space, but one
> can quickly conceive cases where the complete file system semantics
> are used, for example when you want to provide a data replication
> service between sites without enforcing a global user namespace.
>
> was this what you were asking? some of those ideas came out of 9grid,
> but i don't know whether anyone has pushed them further.

i'm not sure.  what does "complete filesystem semantics" mean?  let me
rephrase.

the premise is that the local system, and thus i assume the local fs, has
no knowledge of the user.  this task has been delegated to a foreign auth
server.  so what are the mechanics of getting the local fs to treat an
unknown user as something other than none?

supposing this problem is solved, don't you need quotas or something
if you don't know who exactly to yell at for filling up the worm?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Multi-domain authentication?
@ 2008-10-21 17:45 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-21 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nwf, 9fans

> My internalized model of how this should work is AFS's ACL system (if that's
> not a dirty word...) and the associated PTS group system.  Between them,
> they provide excellent ability to talk about users from remote cells and
> allow users to create and manage their own groups.

just use afs if that's what you want.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Multi-domain authentication?
@ 2008-10-21 13:14 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-21 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nwf, 9fans

> Does that make sense?

yes.  very good explaination.

however, i can't see how i could use this.  while i do manage >2 auth domains
(and growing), i still have the requirement that everyone have an @tld
address, so the administration needs to be centralized, regardless.
conversely, leaf nodes can't depend on the main auth server, since
this would mean no work could be done if they can't contact the
main auth server.

perhaps i just lack imagination.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Multi-domain authentication?
@ 2008-10-20 23:43 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-20 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> http://osdir.com/ml/os.plan9.nine-grid/2005-06/msg00001.html is a proposal
> from some years ago from TIP9UG to do multi-domain authentication in a way
> somewhat reminiscent of Kerberos.[1]
>
> The only change to factotum, AFAICT, was the following addition:
>>    if(_strfindattr(s->key->attr, "grid")){
>>      snprint(s->t.suid, sizeof s->t.suid, "%s@%s", s->t.cuid, _strfindattr(s->key->attr, "dom"));
>>      safecpy(s->t.cuid, s->t.suid, sizeof s->t.cuid);
>>      flog("grid user: %s", s->t.suid);
>>    }
> in the SHaveAuth case of p9skread.
>
> This seems like a good way to go about MDA, so I am curious why this change
> didn't get put back into the mainline code?  Is there something
> fundamentally wrong?  Was a different approach selected?  Was the issue
> simply tabled?

could you explain what you mean by multi-domain authentication?

i authenticate from one plan 9 authentication domain to another
every day.  the only thing that needs to be set up is that the hostowner
of the other auth domain's auth server needs to be in your /lib/ndb/auth.
(this is already done if you use bootes.)  and you need a line with
auth and authdom keys added to /lib/ndb/local on the auth client's
machine.

is there something else you are looking for?

> [1] I say similar to Kerberos in that it requires a domain A wishing to
> accept identities from domain B to have a key from B's authsrv.

i don't understand this.  which key are you talking about?

- erik

* [9fans] Multi-domain authentication?
@ 2008-10-20  4:38 Nathaniel W Filardo
From: Nathaniel W Filardo @ 2008-10-20  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)