Well, what you are saying is usually true (that line lengths should usually not be too long). I mentioned the lp configuration file as an example (a particular one, thought, since there it was that I encountered the problem). Nonetheless, even if I had only a reasonable number of fields (say 5) and I had the field names (string comments) above the real field values, it could easily happen the lines would be wrapped if my window weren't big enough. The same happens even when viewing an ordinary program code, if the window is not large enough. Adjusting the window size or font size is one way to go, however, why should I be forced to do it, when it's by no way neccessary, had I the option to not wrap... All I want to see are the beginings of lines and should I decide to edit a particular line I had no problem moving to it and edit it. Another, even more compelling example is, when you want to look at some scientific data from some experiment. There it is quite common to have rows of data, each row having say 20 real numbers, each row meaning one 'step' of the experiment. With acme or sam, with/without your solution, you have no simple way of looking at it. Using Vim, it's an easy task, you can turn the wrapping off... Ruda On 23/03/2008, erik quanstrom wrote: > > > Thanks for the answer, although it did not please me... :( > > (In Vim, you only have to do :set nowrap and you are done... From time > to > > time I find this rather useful.) > > Ruda > > > it's unreasonable for the lp configuration file to need lines 200 > characters long. > i would think it would make more sense to talk about addressing lp's > unreasonable > requirments rather than complaining about acme's lack of features. > > > - erik > > >