* [9fans] printing fom plan9 to OKI5900dn
@ 2008-05-16 17:39 Rudolf Sykora
       [not found] ` <7a9ef248630c3e47914a1fcc714982dd@yourdomain.dom>
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2008-05-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello everyone,

I have spent some time trying to figure out the working configuration for
being able to print on a network (postscript) printer oki5900dn.
I know its IP address.

But I haven't succeeded so far.

I prepared a PS file, say a.ps.
I removed the '!' letter from rc/bin/service/!tcp515, so now I
have rc/bin/service/tcp515.
I added a line to /sys/lib/lp/devices like this:
oki next_door localhost tcp!192.113.32.182!9100 81920 post+duplex generic
generic generic generic tcppost FIFO
... I don't quite fully understand this line, so this is probably where the
problem is ...
Then I tried sth like:
lp -doki a.ps
... and it just says nothing...

I played with it for a while but without success.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] printing fom plan9 to OKI5900dn
       [not found]   ` <a560a5d00805161135h58c40b11k7d4165584eb9bb77@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2008-05-16 18:43     ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2008-05-16 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 16/05/2008, lawler.jack@gmail.com <lawler.jack@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you can pattern your entry on the one for vogon in
> /sys/lib/lp/devices.
> I think your entry would be:
>
> oki next_door 192.113.32.182 oki5900dn - post+600dpi generic lpdspool lpd
> - - FIFO

thanks, but doesn't help... :(
(to be honest, your line seems to me to be even further from what I would
expect to be correct than mine is :) -- but I may be completely wrong.
What's the reason to mention oki5900dn in the line? At that place the
address of the printer should be, which you shifted one field to the left
and even removed the port. Moreover, you propose the system from which the
files should be printed (3rd field) is the printer itself, opposed to my
line, where it is my own computer...)
R.

@ 2008-05-19 19:00 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-05-19 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have spent some time trying to figure out the working configuration for
> being able to print on a network (postscript) printer oki5900dn.
> I know its IP address.
>
> But I haven't succeeded so far.
>
> I prepared a PS file, say a.ps.
> I removed the '!' letter from rc/bin/service/!tcp515, so now I
> have rc/bin/service/tcp515.
> I added a line to /sys/lib/lp/devices like this:
> oki next_door localhost tcp!192.113.32.182!9100 81920 post+duplex ...

If there is some machine that is already
in charge of spooling to the printer, you
would be better off handing the job to
that machine instead of connecting directly
to the printer, since many printers don't handle
multiple connections on 9100 particularly
gracefully.  To hand the job to another machine
via the fairly standard LPD protocol, see the
"vogon" line in /sys/lib/lp/devices for an
example.

If you are going to set up your own machine
as the one in charge of the printer (as you have tried),
you have to use a resolvable address where you put
"localhost".  On Plan 9, "localhost" is not a
known name--it doesn't make sense in config
files, which are usually shared across many
machines--and by default there is no network
devices for 127.0.0.1.

You can add an entry for your machine to
/lib/ndb/local and then use your machine's name
in the /sys/lib/lp/devices line.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] printing fom plan9 to OKI5900dn
@ 2008-05-25 15:14   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2008-05-25 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-05-16 19:08 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-05-16 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I added a line to /sys/lib/lp/devices like this:
> oki next_door localhost tcp!192.113.32.182!9100 81920 post+duplex generic
> generic generic generic tcppost FIFO
> ... I don't quite fully understand this line, so this is probably where the

i believe you need to use the name of a cpu server n place of "localhost".

- erik