2008/5/19 Russ Cox : > > I have spent some time trying to figure out the working configuration for > > being able to print on a network (postscript) printer oki5900dn. > > I know its IP address. > > > > But I haven't succeeded so far. > > > > I prepared a PS file, say a.ps. > > I removed the '!' letter from rc/bin/service/!tcp515, so now I > > have rc/bin/service/tcp515. > > I added a line to /sys/lib/lp/devices like this: > > oki next_door localhost tcp!192.113.32.182!9100 81920 post+duplex ... > > If there is some machine that is already > in charge of spooling to the printer, you > would be better off handing the job to > that machine instead of connecting directly > to the printer, since many printers don't handle > multiple connections on 9100 particularly > gracefully. To hand the job to another machine > via the fairly standard LPD protocol, see the > "vogon" line in /sys/lib/lp/devices for an > example. > > If you are going to set up your own machine > as the one in charge of the printer (as you have tried), > you have to use a resolvable address where you put > "localhost". On Plan 9, "localhost" is not a > known name--it doesn't make sense in config > files, which are usually shared across many > machines--and by default there is no network > devices for 127.0.0.1. > > You can add an entry for your machine to > /lib/ndb/local and then use your machine's name > in the /sys/lib/lp/devices line. > > Russ > > Thanks, R. >