2008/10/8 Pietro Gagliardi > On Oct 8, 2008, at 2:52 PM, Rudolf Sykora wrote: > > >> >> So, if I continuously want to add and remove functions within one shell >> (running hypothetically forever), do I have to 'manually' delete those empty >> left-behind files? --- that is, not only use >> fn name_that_I _don't_need >> but also >> rm /env/'fn#name_that_I _don't_need' ? >> >> No. >> >> Well... that's an answer, but not very constructive indeed. When do those >> files dissapear? >> R. >> > > When the namespace disappears. > > You can ignore the file even being there. There is a difference between the > file and how the program uses them. If the program (rc) doesn't have a > function given a name but /env does, it makes no difference. rc will > overwrite the file when you redefine the function. > Well, when it disappears, sure. All what you say is understandable and I know it. But as I explicitly noted, this namespace presumably never disappears and the number of files increases. And having trillion useless files is for no good. Moreover, as I tried to say, I don't see the reason for that they stay there. See my about 4 hours old mail. Ruda