* [9fans] acme: dirty state after 1-2, 1-3 click in a tag line
@ 2009-05-29 22:26 Rudolf Sykora
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-05-29 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I've noticed two strange things about acme:
1) when I snarf the name (or a part of it) of a file with a mouse (in
the tag line) using 1-2, 1-3 mouse chord, the file is marked dirty. (I
think it should not.)
2) i) when I open a win window, 'win' appears in the topmost tag line
(if you open 2 such windows, there will be 2 'win's) (Why?)
   ii) when I Dump the state and there is a win window, after Exiting
and starting 'acme -l thedumpfile' there is an extra 'win' text added
to the topmost line.

Could somebody comment on these, please? Is this behaviour desired for
any reason?

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] acme: dirty state after 1-2, 1-3 click in a tag line
@ 2009-05-29 22:44 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-05-29 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2.i: the topmost tag will add the name of any external program you
run. you'll see the same thing if you run Mail or Wiki. this is often
useful with a 2-1 chord on Kill.

2.ii: it's storing the current tag, and then adding the name of the
external command (win) when it gets run. a bug, but i'm not sure how
to correct it. you might be able to get by having the dump routine
strip the names of any external commands that're running, stopping
when it finds something that isn't an external command. that'd be
imperfect, since the command name doesn't reliably match what gets
stuck in the tag (try "upasname=foo Mail"). more complete but more
invasive is have acme maintain a  mark for where in the tag the
"external command" part ends, and have the dump routine exclude text
before that mark.

it all seems more trouble than it's worth.

issue 1 seems like it ought to be more easily fixable without new mechanisms.

* Re: [9fans] acme: dirty state after 1-2, 1-3 click in a tag line
@ 2009-05-30  1:24 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-05-30  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The behavior is useful if the command is mk
instead of win.  You can run mk and it says
mk in the top left until mk finishes and then it
goes away.  If you don't like seeing the win win win
in the top corner, you can always edit the text yourself.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] acme: dirty state after 1-2, 1-3 click in a tag line
@ 2009-05-30 10:13 ` yy
From: yy @ 2009-05-30 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/5/30 Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed two strange things about acme:
> 1) when I snarf the name (or a part of it) of a file with a mouse (in
> the tag line) using 1-2, 1-3 mouse chord, the file is marked dirty. (I
> think it should not.)

Probably you have already noticed it, but if the dirty mark annoys you
can always select with 1 and use Snarf.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] acme: dirty state after 1-2, 1-3 click in a tag line
@ 2009-05-30 10:21   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-05-30 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Probably you have already noticed it, but if the dirty mark annoys you
> can always select with 1 and use Snarf.
> - yiyus || JGL .

yes, I have, thanks anyway :)