* [9fans] acme: 2-1chord on Edit in a 'win window' tag doesn't work
@ 2009-06-10 15:08 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-06-10 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello everyone,

might be I am doing something wrong, but this seems to me like a bug...

In some acme window I have a command, e.g simply s/f/g/, I select it
with a mouse and 2-1 chord it on the Edit command in a tag line of a
window in which there is win running and also some text (for us e.g.
abcdefgh) is selected. Nothing happens. Only when the s/f/g/ is copied
in the tag line and the whole (together with the Edit) is 2-selected,
the command is executed, i.e. abcdefgh -> abcdeggh.

This only happens for a win window, ordinary text window is ok as well
as a directory window.

Thanks for comments,
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] acme: 2-1chord on Edit in a 'win window' tag doesn't work
@ 2009-06-10 17:26 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-06-10 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> In some acme window I have a command, e.g simply s/f/g/, I select it
> with a mouse and 2-1 chord it on the Edit command in a tag line of a
> window in which there is win running and also some text (for us e.g.
> abcdefgh) is selected. Nothing happens. Only when the s/f/g/ is copied
> in the tag line and the whole (together with the Edit) is 2-selected,
> the command is executed, i.e. abcdefgh -> abcdeggh.
>
> This only happens for a win window, ordinary text window is ok as well
> as a directory window.

This is a design bug in acme.
Acme sends events like this to external programs to handle,
and if the program can't handle it, it sends the event back.
Unfortunately, the "send it back" protocol is more limited
and doesn't include a way to echo back the fact that this
was an argument from a different window.  So after this
game of telephone, acme thinks you just 2-clicked Edit,
not 2-1 clicked.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] acme: 2-1chord on Edit in a 'win window' tag doesn't work
@ 2009-06-11 19:14   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-06-11 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> This is a design bug in acme.
> Russ

Ok, I understand. Thanks for the explanation!
Ruda