* [9fans] undelete a file
@ 2009-08-13 10:38 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-08-13 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello everyone,

I have, by mistake, deleted a file.
I use fossil.
I don't know much about how fossil works...
Can I do something to get it back?

I tried yesterday, but it says /n/dump/2009 doesn't exist.
I looked in /n/dump and there is nothing.
I tried '9fs dump' but even after that /n/dump/ is empty.

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] undelete a file
@ 2009-08-13 13:01 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-08-13 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

... Do I need venti to be able to use the dump feature?
Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] undelete a file
@ 2009-08-13 13:11   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-13 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ... Do I need venti to be able to use the dump feature?

if you are using fossil, then yes.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] undelete a file
@ 2009-08-13 13:19   ` Martin Neubauer
From: Martin Neubauer @ 2009-08-13 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Rudolf Sykora (rudolf.sykora@gmail.com) wrote:
> ... Do I need venti to be able to use the dump feature?
> Thanks
> Ruda

Probably. You might get away with
	9fs snap
and having a peek at /n/snap, though. (I'm  not sure as I haven't
used fossil without venti backing of some sort in years.)

Good luck,
	Martin

* Re: [9fans] undelete a file
@ 2009-08-13 14:22     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-08-13 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you need venti for dumps, but not snapshots. do "9fs snap" and then
see if there's anything in /n/snap. these are ephemeral, not archival.

i don't believe fossil ships with these turned on by default, so
you're likely SOL, sorry.

assuming my memory from my last install is correct, and it's not
installing with snapshots (and, if venti-backed, with dumps on), is
there any particular reason for that?

* Re: [9fans] undelete a file
@ 2009-08-13 14:39       ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-08-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/8/13 Anthony Sorace <anothy@gmail.com>:
> you need venti for dumps, but not snapshots. do "9fs snap" and then
> see if there's anything in /n/snap. these are ephemeral, not archival.
>
> i don't believe fossil ships with these turned on by default, so
> you're likely SOL, sorry.

Well, after
9fs snap
/n/snap
is empty...
... well I haven't lost anything life-essential

> assuming my memory from my last install is correct, and it's not
> installing with snapshots (and, if venti-backed, with dumps on), is
> there any particular reason for that?

Where can I read how to turn the snapshots on?
(Actually, I once read fossil(4) and had the feeling that these simply
do happen and once there is no space some of them are moved to venti
or deleted if there is no venti. With this on mind I then decided not
to use venti during installation. Now I see the snapshots have to be
turned on...)

Thanks anyway
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] undelete a file
@ 2009-08-13 15:28         ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-08-13 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you need to read fossilcons(8) for how to turn them on.

the man page makes clear (i think) that there are two types of
snapshots, archival and not. i think the default behavior is
explained, too (see the description of snaptime).