* Re: [9fans] Intel video support?
@ 2002-05-03  2:36 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-05-03  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I see that both vgadb and the source directory in the 4th edition have
> references to the Intel 81x chipsets.  Is this currently working
> correctly, or just a placeholder for things to come?

At this stage, it will only work for an LCD screen.  I need to
add code to aux/vga for setting the clock.  Also, the cursor
colours aren't set up right -- mine comes out as a very dark
green arrow with a bright green border.

Neverthless, it enables me to use Plan 9 on my Sony VAIO
lapdog, so it's better than no driver at all.

* Re: [9fans] Intel video support?
@ 2002-05-03  2:26 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-03  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Guess I'll stick with the trusty Mach64 for now.

i hate the mach 64.  i really do.
every one is different and needs different
memory timing settings and there's all this magic
in the driver that no one understands and
when it breaks there's nothing you can do.
i used to try sitting down and reverse engineering
the memory timing settings from working modes,
but even that stopped working.  still, they're
definitely the most common card around the labs,
and the supported ones work solidly.

for recent cards, savage4- and nvidia-based
cards seem like much better choices.

sorry for the rant.

* Re: [9fans] Intel video support?
@ 2002-05-03  2:18 ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2002-05-03  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox wrote:

> > I see that both vgadb and the source directory in the 4th edition have
> > references to the Intel 81x chipsets.  Is this currently working
> > correctly, or just a placeholder for things to come?
>
> dhog wrote it a few weeks ago.  it seems to work
> for him, but i'd consider it a work in progress
> until we know it works for more people.
>
> russ

Well thanks -- I'm off to the computer show this weekend to look for
some new hardware to run Plan 9 (anyone from the Labs going to TCF?)

Guess I'll stick with the trusty Mach64 for now.

Martin

* Re: [9fans] Intel video support?
@ 2002-05-02 23:12 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-02 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I see that both vgadb and the source directory in the 4th edition have
> references to the Intel 81x chipsets.  Is this currently working
> correctly, or just a placeholder for things to come?

dhog wrote it a few weeks ago.  it seems to work
for him, but i'd consider it a work in progress
until we know it works for more people.

russ

* [9fans] Intel video support?
@ 2002-05-02 23:03 Martin Harriss