From: dvd@davidashen.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] ituner minibox
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:57:11 +0500	[thread overview]

>> 1) kfs is unusable -- it is too slow to put it on a CF; fossil works fine.
>
> Will you please explain?  It is not clear whether CF is used as the
> KFS storage or merely to hold kfs itself.

1. The guaranteed  lifetime is 300,000 write cycles. Unless you put swap
on CF, it is unlikely to expire soon even  with development being conducted
on it.

2. kfs is too slow (disk operations are unbuffered) to be used with CF. Installation
itself takes forever.

3. fossil is fine, I have a 400 Mb partition on a 512 Mb Toshiba (Kingston-labeled)
CF; the speed is acceptable.

> I ask because CF has a limited write lifetime, being intended more as
> read-only storage (a few thousand write cycles?).  I'm not sure all
> reader of this list are aware of this, so I thought I'd mention it.

Time will show; unless i'm wrong with my calculations, I have a few years
of use it as my main filesystem. Time will show.

David