* [9fans] Who is in the Plan 9 foundation? Where can I follow them?
@ 2022-01-20 14:01 sho.danilo via 9fans
From: sho.danilo via 9fans @ 2022-01-20 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, I'm new to Plan 9. I learnt about it when I found out the P9F was founded, here https://plan9foundation.org/activities.html there is "Preparing for a new release, including patches <http://9legacy.org/patch.html>" since like first half of last year, but then nothing, and I see nothing about who is in the foundation. So, where can I find informations about them? I see "changes" points to 9legacy, but I also read in this mailing list that the GSoC work was done on 9front, so on which release is the foundation working on? 9legacy or 9front?

* Re: [9fans] Who is in the Plan 9 foundation? Where can I follow them?
@ 2022-01-20 14:23 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-01-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

maybe check the individual patches (as they have mentioned)

@ 2022-01-20 14:23 ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-01-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

20.01.2022 15:01:15 sho.danilo via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:

> Hi, I'm new to Plan 9. I learnt about it when I found out the P9F was
> founded, here https://plan9foundation.org/activities.html there is
> "Preparing for a new release, including
> patches[http://9legacy.org/patch.html]" since like first half of last
> year, but then nothing, and I see nothing about who is in the
> foundation. So, where can I find informations about them? I see
> "changes" points to 9legacy, but I also read in this mailing list that
> the GSoC work was done on 9front, so on which release is the foundation
> working on? 9legacy or 9front?

First, welcome :)

I'm in this community for a few years and I can tell you, I don't know.
It's what I was asking a year ago and more info than what's on their site
is not really public.

They state they "promote" all Plan 9 related stuff (explicitly not
mentioning 9front), and they prepare a release (where, what). Otherwise
they only link to 9legacy and legacy 9 stuff.

9front has nothing to do with plan9foundation at all, they're completely
independent. If you want to find out more about it, devs are quite open
and you can say hello in #cat-v at irc.oftc.net or the 9front mailing
list.

I don't know about GSoC projects.

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] Who is in the Plan 9 foundation? Where can I follow them?
@ 2022-01-20 14:28   ` sho.danilo via 9fans
From: sho.danilo via 9fans @ 2022-01-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you sirjofri, I'm sorry to see that this is the state of affairs... I'll surely try 9front.

* Re: [9fans] Who is in the Plan 9 foundation? Where can I follow them?
@ 2022-01-20 21:48   ` vic.thacker
From: vic.thacker @ 2022-01-20 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k via 9fans

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022, at 23:23, hiro wrote:
> maybe check the individual patches (as they have mentioned)

The page reads, "Last update: 2022-01-18", and there are a large number of patches depicted.

It seems 9legacy has been very active, http://9legacy.org/download/9legacychecksums.txt, and had a recent release.

Tue Jan 18 11:08:03 GMT 2022 md5 fce568ed4a0d9829fc2d3a4dd8d1f068 sha1 66822382b92079d08400183bdd85a38d21ea7a73 9legacy-new.iso.bz2

I surmise that Plan 9 Foundation is supporting 9Legacy.  However, I could be wrong and often am.

 -- Vester "Vic" Thacker