* Re: [9fans] tinyemu - riscv emulator
       [not found] <bc57352c75e257ec117ce59b4c498ab1@hamnavoe.com>
@ 2021-11-07 23:23 ` Cyber Fonic
From: Cyber Fonic @ 2021-11-07 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had difficulty in getting tinyEmu from contrib/miller/tinyemu.tar
working. So I downloaded from Fabrice Bellard's web site and finally got it
running the Linux that is referenced on his web site.

I also have Richard Miller's RISC-V compiler compiled under x386 Plan9. BUT
... I can't find anything by searching on the various forums as to how to
get Plan9 working with tinyemu.

The almost year old post:
https://www.mail-archive.com/9fans@9fans.net/msg39198.html suggests that it
does work, but I can't find any Plan9 image to download nor any reference
as to how to port to RISC-V.

What am I missing?  Where should I be looking?

@ 2021-11-08 10:44   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-11-08 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I had difficulty in getting tinyEmu from contrib/miller/tinyemu.tar
> working.

Can you be a bit more specific about your difficulty? How far did you
get, what exactly didn't work?

To use networking, your Plan 9 kernel needs bridge(3) configured in.
In tinyemu.tar there's an example bridge.rc script that shows how to
set up a tunnel to bridge the tinyemu simulated network onto the real
network.

* Re: [9fans] tinyemu - riscv emulator
@ 2021-11-08 13:12     ` Cyber Fonic
From: Cyber Fonic @ 2021-11-08 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The make command failed with dependency on slirp module.
The download from Fabrice's website included slirp and the make ran to
completion.

My *real unsolved issue* is that I don't understand how to create a version
of Plan9 that
boots and runs on tinyemu.  I confirmed that tinyemu itself runs fine
because I have
a version of Linux (via Buildroot?) running on tinyemu.

Alternatively an image that could be loaded with tinyemu configuration
would be useful.
That is, having files to specify with the *bios* and *kernel* parameters in
the configuration file.

The only notes on booting Plan9 that I could find are all for PC hardware.
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

@ 2021-11-08 15:39       ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-11-08 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The make command failed with dependency on slirp module.

I don't think plan 9 has a 'make' command. If you just run 'mk'
on plan 9 in the tinyemu directory, it uses the mkfile there
and there's no slirp dependency.

* Re: [9fans] tinyemu - riscv emulator
@ 2021-11-09  2:55         ` Cyber Fonic
From: Cyber Fonic @ 2021-11-09  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you for the nudges towards the right direction.
Self-inflicted confusion :  I'm running 9vx and forgot that I was mk'ing an
emulator to run within an emulator.

After a lot of fiddling with libraries, dependencies I got tinyemu to
compile and run.

When I execute:  tinyemu bridge.cfg
It can't find *9tecpu.bin*.
I presume that it's the Plan9 kernel.
Any suggestions as to what steps to take in order to generate it?

@ 2021-11-09 14:52           ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-11-09 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Self-inflicted confusion :  I'm running 9vx and forgot that I was mk'ing an
> emulator to run within an emulator.

Part of the confusion was my fault: I should maybe have removed the
Makefile (and other linux-only components) instead of leaving them
in as reference material.

* Re: [9fans] tinyemu - riscv emulator
@ 2021-11-09 15:03           ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-11-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It can't find *9tecpu.bin*.
> I presume that it's the Plan9 kernel.
> Any suggestions as to what steps to take in order to generate it?

Up to now the procedure for getting the 9k riscv kernel source
is to ask its author (Geoff Collyer) for a copy.

* Re: [9fans] tinyemu - riscv emulator
@ 2021-11-10  1:47             ` Cyber Fonic
From: Cyber Fonic @ 2021-11-10  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for the lead.

Checked Geoff Collyer's web site <http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/9/> and
the release of the Plan9 kernels for RISC-V are imminent.

I'll wait for Geoff to release the new kernels.
In the meantime I have some low-level programming work with your compiler
and tinyemu running on a Raspberry Pi 2B.

@ 2021-11-11 19:29               ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-11-11 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> In the meantime I have some low-level programming work with your compiler
> and tinyemu running on a Raspberry Pi 2B.

That's good to know. My original motivation for developing the
riscv toolchain was to use in "bare metal" programming of riscv
soft cores implemented on FPGA.