these are good reasons and bring to mind a question. why don't we define a generic microkernel that all these systems can use and not have to go to all the tricks of VM? i now that the usual definition for a microkernel is the part that supports all the processes that really make up the OS. but if we had a generic microkernel then people could write device drivers for that an all the other OSs could use that. i'm not holding my breath on the above, so next question. is the structure of windows device driver environments well known enough to build a small `container' to use off-the-shelf windows drivers on plan 9? Brantley