From: sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] building a grid at university
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 00:16:48 +0200 (GMT+02:00)	[thread overview]

28.09.2022 23:58:23 fig <type9freak@gmail.com>:

>> Think about what you want to do with those files on your server.
> i'm not going to needlessly elaborate, but i'll say that before this, i was already using my ebooks, audiobooks, text files and music with the tools from plan9port.

Great 😃. I have no more linux left on any machine, so I never experienced this.

>> I recommend starting with a few servers (auth, fs, cpu, maybe even all in one machine) in the cloud, plus one local cpu server with a cache filesystem (cfs) for better latency.
>> Have your servers in the cloud. You're not a data center. VPS can be actually quite cheap, I pay 2.42 euro per month per machine.
> i think i have to, yeah. is there anything important to consider when choosing a VPS provider for plan 9 servers? or do they all play well?
> any recommendations are welcome.

Many use vultr, I use netcup. KVM technology mostly works well, hyper-v doesn't work at all, afaik.

> another possibility: i could put plan 9 servers on a couple thinkpads and/or raspberry pis at my parents' house (not far from school) and have them connect to the 9p.zone auth server or a VPS of mine. the reason i did not initially list this as an option is because internet at home is pretty slow, and also i did not want to do any port forwarding at home. but this arrangement would not require any port forwarding, if i'm not mistaken.

Since you want to access your server, you still need some port forwarding.

What you can do is, have one single VPS somewhere and make your local server listen via the /net of that VPS. Basically you import the /net of the VPS to your machine and then start listening.

Slowness is not necessarily a big factor, depending on what you do. I've heard stories of Plan 9 being faster on ISDN than DSL because ISDN is targeted towards latency and DSL towards bandwidth, which makes sense, but I have no personal experience with this.

I was able to write my bachelor thesis via DSL with our famous German internet. My file+cpu server was behind a personal DSL provider and my local machine, too. I noticed the latency, but it was fine for my task. I imported the filesystem to my client machine, did my editing there without latency (except for saving), then built the pdf using rcpu for faster access. It could've been faster, but it was fine.

Regarding inferno: well yeah, go for it if you want. It's different and people like it or not. I personally rarely use it.

sirjofri