* [9fans] building a grid at university
@ 2022-09-27 22:33 type9freak
From: type9freak @ 2022-09-27 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i have been learning plan 9 for about a week now through a 9front install on a spare laptop. i’m really falling for it, especially as someone who loves shell and unix. i’m here to get some advisement on what my best options would be for making a plan 9 grid, as a university student. i want to have a server for my documents, ebooks, music, and images, as well as a persistent IRC client and maybe even a mail server. most importantly, i want to be able to access the grid remotely: from my laptop in class for example (same network) and maybe down the line from anywhere, over internet. there are a number of things in the way of that, the first being my dorm room does not have an ethernet outlet. i think mine is the only one on my floor that doesn’t. second, my building loses power frequently, which is not ideal for hosting servers; power aside, it would still lose internet connection. the third problem is less adverse, but the network requires devices to be authenticated to get online. i get around this by authenticating on a dummy computer with a mac address spoofer.i have no idea if i could easily connect to local IP’s on the network, but i doubt it. so that would make it much more difficult/inconvenient to host on campus. also, the school explicitly forbids hosting servers on the school network.
does anyone see a favorable way to set up a plan 9 grid, either on campus or an alternative? the biggest hurdle is definitely getting the grid on the university network where it can be connected to locally, or getting it out of the network and online. also i know the sdf plan 9 bootcamp just ended, and i’m aware of 9gridchan, but i don’t know if they’re really going to be useful for my demands. those two communities seem more oriented towards being an introduction to plan 9 and less towards using it or ‘switching’ to it. plus i don’t want to dump files onto someone else’s drives.
anyways, thank you for your time reading this, if you need me to check x by doing y as the means of finding a solution, i’m happy to do so.