From: underspecified <underspecified@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9vx os x
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:42:25 +0900	[thread overview]

Greetings,

It is running smoothly for me under 10.5.3 too.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>> Another bug in both x11 and native mode 9vx: occasionally,
>> resizing the window can make it crash with a
>>     9vx panic: sigsegv on cpu6
>> But of course when I try to cause it, it doesn't happen!
>> Also, quickly dragging the corner on the x11 version can
>> render the window completely black.
>
> Presumably there is a race that needs fixing.
> I'll add it to the BUGS list and leave it for someone
> else for now.
>
>> The native version is different from the x11 in the following ways:
>> - Top right acme `term' window doesn't open
>> - The top row in acme doesn't show win before newcol
>
> Haven't tried to reproduce these.  Are you sure your
> acme config isn't different?
>
>> - The window geometry is different.
>
> This is true, but it seemed better.  If there were some
> way to make the window start maximized (not full screen,
> but just where it would be if you clicked the +), I'd do that.

If you are willing to calculate the screen geometry and manually
specify the max size, this should be possible.
I think it defaults to 3/4 of max in Acme SAC currently.

>> - it has to be explicitly put in background.
>
> If you know how to do that without OS X complaining
> (like it does if you use fork), please let me know.
>
>> A UI nit: the cursor shape doesn't change when moving it out
>> of the 9vx window.
>>
>> When we do get to see a glenda icon for 9vx?:-)
>
> I made an icon and a 9vx.app directory, but I have not
> gotten it completely working.  I have been using the 9ball
> from second edition, because it is easier to recognize at
> tiny scales.
>
> If you know how to attach an icon without using the .app
> directory, please let me know.

You can add icons to arbitrary files by right-clicking on the file,
choosing "Get Info,"
and pasting/drag-and-dropping the desired icon onto the tiny icon in
the upper-left
hand corner of the info window. The advantage to this approach is it's
extremely simple.
The disadvantage is only .app directories can be included in the dock
as applications :-\

>> A comment on networking: Since 9vx uses the host's IP stack,
>> two instances can't open the same port.  But at least on
>> FreeBSD one can use jail(1) so that each 9vx instance has a
>> full complement of ports.
>
> It's true.  It's a different model.
>
> Russ

--underspecified