From: Kenji Okamoto <okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] strange sound card HCMI-4CH
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:15:19 +0900	[thread overview]

Thanks Sergey for your comment.

I supposed something similar, that is, some work might be neccessary
to make it work as SB16 compatible.
The card attrracted me by the reason that we may have a easy way
to shift the ISA SB16 codes to PCI one if it does SB16 compatible.
We have no PCI sound driver for Plan 9 so far.

Furthermore, SBpro is 8 bit with 48KHz sampling, however, SB is 8 bit
with lesser sampling rate, which indicates no use for music.

I'm now enjoying USb audio programming...
Really? I got damaged my CM106/F chip probably because I used it
under smaller than 500mA circumstance or plugged low impedance
headphone to front speaker line out connection, anyway, it dosen't
sound anymore.   I tried it on my home Win2k, and got the same no
sound result.   I lost $40 (sigh).
I should buy another one?   Maybe or not.   If I'll buy another CM106/F
USb sound device, I'd like to avoid the one, at least I choose the one has
self power supply in itself.   I'm now standing stop around there.

USB audio sounds greater than on board sound chips, it's true.
However, then, what we can do anything else by USB audio?
To use USB audio, we need independent CD/MD player with
S/PDIF or analog output.   Can we use Mini-compo?   It seems to me
toy things, then, I should buy another CD/MD player?...

Copying sounds through Plan 9 (network) to MD?   I'm not a MD user,
in fact, I hate it.   Anything other merit for USB audio other than better
sound quality?

If we could have PCI sound driver, it may give us more benefits
than the quality of sound?   It's not easy to solve...

Anyway writing a new sound driver is a cumbersome task, I think.
First of all, which chip we trusted on?   more, more, more...
If we could use SB16 compatible chip, we can just shift the SB16
driver to PCI version.

Kenji  -- now

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4117 bytes --]

From: Sergey Reva <rs_rlab@mail.ru>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:14:40 +0300

Wednesday, September 15, 2004, 11:23:25 AM, you wrote:

KO> I got a PCI sound card, which says "Legacy audio SB16 compatible".
KO> Please remark it doesn't say SB neither SBpro.   The chip name is
KO> CMI8738/PCI-SX, note the -SX suffix!

KO> Does anyone have any experience on this sound card?

Sorry for my english :)

Yes i use this card too. If you want to turn on SB16 compatible
mode you need run special program which available only for DOS. For
this sound card available Linux driver.

I am tryed run this program, then run Plan 9  through ld.com but this
do not work.

In datashet for this chip says about SB16 mode, but i tryed run old
dos game and it say about SBPro not SB16.

Sergey Reva
--
http://rs-rlab.narod.ru                            mailto:rs_rlab@mail.ru