* [9fans] cfront c++
@ 2007-11-06 19:58 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-11-06 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The first and seccond editions of plan9 included the cfront
c++ preprocessor binaries, the third and fourth editions did not.

AT&T have released the source of the cfront compiler and the labs
have released the source of their port (read plan9-ised).

I have updated the plan9 version (v3.01) to the last available from
the AT&T (3.03). I did this more as a learning experience rather
than to use the compiler in anger.

Cfront is very old in c++ terms and is not very useful for compiling
modern code. The only c++ code in the plan9 distribution is the
postprocessor for the pm troff macro package.

My port is mostly complete - it self hosts and compiles the pm postprocessor
however it is not finished. The task library is not ported, and there is no
Standard Component library (though this is avalable), Standard Template
library (much more work) and incomplete vlong support (I ran out of patience).

I am unlikely to get any further with this, anyone who is interested can
pick up what I have done, some notes, ideas, and links to the AT&T and labs
distributions here:

	http://www.quintile.net/plan9/c++

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] cfront c++
@ 2007-11-06 22:27 ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2007-11-06 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cool :-) will it be a separate program or part of *c?

On Nov 6, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Steve Simon wrote:

> The first and seccond editions of plan9 included the cfront
> c++ preprocessor binaries, the third and fourth editions did not.
>
> AT&T have released the source of the cfront compiler and the labs
> have released the source of their port (read plan9-ised).
>
> I have updated the plan9 version (v3.01) to the last available from
> the AT&T (3.03). I did this more as a learning experience rather
> than to use the compiler in anger.
>
> Cfront is very old in c++ terms and is not very useful for compiling
> modern code. The only c++ code in the plan9 distribution is the
> postprocessor for the pm troff macro package.
>
> My port is mostly complete - it self hosts and compiles the pm
> postprocessor
> however it is not finished. The task library is not ported, and
> there is no
> Standard Component library (though this is avalable), Standard
> Template
> library (much more work) and incomplete vlong support (I ran out of
> patience).
>
> I am unlikely to get any further with this, anyone who is
> interested can
> pick up what I have done, some notes, ideas, and links to the AT&T
> and labs
> distributions here:
>
> 	http://www.quintile.net/plan9/c++
>
> -Steve

* Re: [9fans] cfront c++
@ 2007-11-06 22:32   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-11-06 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> cool :-) will it be a separate program or part of *c?

cfront works by turning c++ input into plan c output,
in much the same way a conventional c compiler turns
c input into assembly output.  (well they often run the
assembler behind your back.)

- erik