* [9fans] compilers
@ 2005-03-26 20:16 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-03-26 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The compilers share a bit of code through copy-paste.  I was wondering
if there are any important changes in recent years that were made
in a popularly used compiler (ie. 8[cal]) that might benefit other
compilers (ie. k[cal])?

Also, is there any documentation out there other than "How to
Use the Plan 9 C Compiler" and "Plan 9 C Compilers" that cover
the compilers?  I've been perusing the code and some of the
code takes quite a while to figure out.  Some quick notes would
go a long way (ie. "this function is a recursive tree walk that
checks types and inserts casts").

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] compilers
@ 2005-03-26 20:43 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-26 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> The compilers share a bit of code through copy-paste.  I was wondering
> if there are any important changes in recent years that were made
> in a popularly used compiler (ie. 8[cal]) that might benefit other
> compilers (ie. k[cal])?

We do try to make the changes in all the compilers when
the changes are general, though that's no guarantee that
things haven't slipped through.

> Also, is there any documentation out there other than "How to
> Use the Plan 9 C Compiler" and "Plan 9 C Compilers" that cover
> the compilers?  I've been perusing the code and some of the
> code takes quite a while to figure out.  Some quick notes would
> go a long way (ie. "this function is a recursive tree walk that
> checks types and inserts casts").

A more detailed implementation document for any one
of the compilers is yet to be written.

More seriously, I found that matching the text in
section 5 of /sys/doc/compiler.ps against the compiler
code was quite informative.  It would be great if
there were better documentation.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] compilers
@ 2005-03-27  6:01 ` kazumi iwane
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: kazumi iwane @ 2005-03-27  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> in a popularly used compiler (ie. 8[cal]) that might benefit other
> compilers (ie. k[cal])?

It looks like 5[cal] will benefit, too, considering efforts going on for
ts7200 and simpad.

- kazumi

* Re: [9fans] compilers
@ 2005-03-27  6:04   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-03-27  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kazumi iwane, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

reading the compilers is enough doc.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] compilers
@ 2005-03-27 14:56     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-27 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> reading the compilers is enough doc.

yeah, they're crystal clear.  that's why it took you and me
three attempts to fix that quoting-in-a-macro bug.

russ

* Re: [9fans] compilers
@ 2005-03-27 16:40   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-03-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kiwane, 9fans

>> in a popularly used compiler (ie. 8[cal]) that might benefit other
>> compilers (ie. k[cal])?

>It looks like 5[cal] will benefit, too, considering efforts going on for

5[cal] already is popularly-used, as is q[acl]

* [9fans] ts7200
@ 2005-03-28 15:27   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-03-28 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it's almost coming up as a cpu server, I just have to finish up making
memory mapping sane.

ron

* Re: [9fans] compilers
@ 2005-03-28 23:50       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-03-28 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> yeah, they're crystal clear.  that's why it took you and me
> three attempts to fix that quoting-in-a-macro bug.

to be fair, i think the problem was more linked to the nature of the preprocessor letting you get away with murder
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604