* [9fans] upas problem
@ 2010-07-24  9:59 James Chapman
From: James Chapman @ 2010-07-24  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I have been accessing gmail from a standalone plan 9 terminal (pulled
from sources and rebuilt kernel a few days ago) under vmware fusion
3.1.0. When I tried again recently:

term% upas/fs -f /imaps/imap.gmail.com/my_email@gmail.com

I enter my password and then

a black square appears on the screen and "soverflow for fx->in" is
printed repeatedly. This goes on for some time and then errors like:

download 10423: short read 3084755 != 3571948: Hangup

download 10424: i/o error: Hangup

download 10425: i/o error: Hangup

download 10426: i/o error: Hangup

download 10427: i/o error: Hangup

are printed in the window.

I've seen this before, I previously had 4000 emails in my inbox and I
got the these errors trying to open it. Now I have only 250 (2 or 3
weeks worth) I have also only seen the "soverflow for fx->in" on
vmware. On my native plan9 box I have only seen the hangup errors. I
also seen the soverflow error when doing a pull (a big one) under
vmware.

James Chapman

* Re: [9fans] upas problem
@ 2010-07-24 19:17 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-07-24 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have been accessing gmail from a standalone plan 9 terminal (pulled
> from sources and rebuilt kernel a few days ago) under vmware fusion
> 3.1.0. When I tried again recently:
>
> term% upas/fs -f /imaps/imap.gmail.com/my_email@gmail.com
>
> I enter my password and then
>
> a black square appears on the screen and "soverflow for fx->in" is
> printed repeatedly. This goes on for some time and then errors like:
>
> download 10423: short read 3084755 != 3571948: Hangup
>
> download 10424: i/o error: Hangup
>
> download 10425: i/o error: Hangup
>
> download 10426: i/o error: Hangup
>
> download 10427: i/o error: Hangup
>
> are printed in the window.
>
> I've seen this before, I previously had 4000 emails in my inbox and I
> got the these errors trying to open it. Now I have only 250 (2 or 3
> weeks worth) I have also only seen the "soverflow for fx->in" on
> vmware. On my native plan9 box I have only seen the hangup errors. I
> also seen the soverflow error when doing a pull (a big one) under
> vmware.

what's happening is that the printing of "soverflow for fx->in"
is wasting so much time that the imap server gets bored and hangs
up.  i think incrementing a counter, rather than printing makes
more sense.  the version of pc/devether.c in 9atom does just that.

a bigger question is why you're getting queue overflows.
it could be that the virtualization is screwing with queue sizing.

nupas may also be helpful for big imap mailboxes;
unless viewed, email only gets downloaded once.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] upas problem
@ 2010-07-24 19:44   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2010-07-24 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> what's happening is that the printing of "soverflow for fx->in"
> is wasting so much time that the imap server gets bored and hangs
> up.

This is really dragging out for 30 minutes?