From: Adrian Tritschler <Adrian.Tritschler@its.monash.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] sources cd images (was lp...)
Date: Wed,  9 Oct 2002 08:45:49 +0000	[thread overview]

Russ Cox wrote:
>> I guess everybody who is sitting behind a firewall with http only going out,
>> would benefit from having sources CD. Or am I missing something ?

> That's exactly right.  The question is whether such people exist.

Many such people do exist.  In my experience more and more organizations are
restricting what ports are accessible to the outside world, in some cases
bringing these down to just HTTP and HTTPS.

I can *currently* get from some parts of our University's network via other
ports, however, in the next six months security changes will mean that SSH is
all that goes out, while HTTP(S) access will be via a proxy service.  Staff
with valid research needs can get access to other ports, but people like me
who are dabbling for "self education" will be restricted.

Any thoughts on making Plan9 work nicely with authenticating proxies? on
making replica work over ssh or http?  WebDAV?

	Adrian

Adrian Tritschler    mailto:Adrian.Tritschler@its.monash.edu.au