* Re: [9fans] how to truncate a file?
@ 2004-10-15  1:14 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-10-15  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Oct 15 09:42:16 JST 2004, geoff@collyer.net wrote:
> In theory, wstat with the desired file length will do it, though ken's
> fs doesn't implement it currently.

Your theory seems to be approved by Russ's ftruncate.
And also, I was warned that it depends on underlying file server
if it works or not (fossil does while ken's fs doesn't).

Thanks, Geoff and Russ.

* Re: [9fans] how to truncate a file?
@ 2004-10-15  2:04 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-10-15  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Oct 15 09:53:05 JST 2004, Russ Cox wrote:
> int
> ftruncate(int fd, vlong length)
> {
>     Dir d;
>     nulldir(&d);
>     d.length = length;
>     return dirfwstat(fd, &d);
> }

FYI, I tried and got the following results:

It worked on:
	fossil
	ramfs

It didn't on:
	ken's fs
	kfs

Thanks, again.  I'm fortunate that I had moved to fossil. :)

* Re: [9fans] how to truncate a file?
@ 2004-10-15  0:52   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-10-15  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ape's ftruncate predates 9P2000.  on fossil you can use

@ 2004-10-15  0:41 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2004-10-15  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In theory, wstat with the desired file length will do it, though ken's
fs doesn't implement it currently.  I'll take another look at how hard
it would be to do.

* [9fans] how to truncate a file?
@ 2004-10-15  0:29 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-10-15  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there an idiom for truncationg a file in Plan 9?
I'm suspecting it's not easy because APE ftruncate is written as:

	/sys/src/ape/lib/ap/plan9/ftruncate.c

	int
	ftruncate(int fd, off_t length)
	{
		errno = EINVAL;
		return -1;
	}

There is OTRUNC mode, but I would like to chop off a file from
a certain position to the end of the file.