* [9fans] /n/sources/contrib/art.tgz
@ 2004-09-30 16:13 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-09-30 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Following a suggestion by Steve Simon I've made a few changes to the
art(1) code from /n/sources/contrib/.  The changes include correct
background drawing, fixed menu bar and menus, and clearing the screen
behind drawn objects such as mouse pointer and line drawings.

Here's a brief description of art:

          Art is an interactive program to create precise line-art in
          the style of pic(1). It is mostly mouse-operated, with a few
          commands entered from the keyboard.  It divides its window
          into four areas: a menu bar at the top, a one-line rectangle
          immediately below for echoing typed-in characters, another
          one-line rectangle below that for printing messages, and a
          large area at the bottom for displaying the drawing.  The -b
          option displays the specified picture (in the format of
          picfile(9.6)) as a background for the drawing.

I can't put the modified source on /n/sources, so I've made a small
page for it, until those who can merge the changes do so:

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/art/

The improvements are only marginal.  Art would require a fair amount
of work to make it worthy of permanent inclusion in the Plan 9
distribution.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] /n/sources/contrib/art.tgz
@ 2004-09-30 16:25 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-09-30 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I can't put the modified source on /n/sources, so I've made a small
> page for it, until those who can merge the changes do so:

just to make this point clear: i can't submit changes to contrib/
as patches because patch/create assumes (rightly) that the patches are
against files in plan9/. if anyone wants to put the new art.tgz on sources
they'll have to email me for the code (i can't put it on the web either,
since it can't be protected with a license click-through).

@ 2004-10-01  0:49 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-10-01  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Following a suggestion by Steve Simon I've made a few changes to the
> art(1) code from /n/sources/contrib/.  The changes include correct
> background drawing, fixed menu bar and menus, and clearing the screen
> behind drawn objects such as mouse pointer and line drawings.

It was caused by the change of libdraw after I wrote art.
As I wrote in the distribution, I wrtoe it for our students to learn
how to write interective GUI program for Plan 9 here, and not for
real use of it.☺

> The improvements are only marginal.  Art would require a fair amount
> of work to make it worthy of permanent inclusion in the Plan 9
> distribution.

I agree.

Kenji