* [9fans] Re: VT8235 SouthBridge not recognized (details)
       [not found] <20030101170003.22602.85667.Mailman@psuvax1.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2003-01-01 23:23 ` John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2003-01-01 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for your help.  I can boot the new kernel.  I still get the error
message from 9load, because it hasn't changed on the floppy, but I no longer
get a message from the kernel.  I now have a /dev/pci with lots of odd looking
stuff.  I don't have a /dev/ether0, though.  Any pointers on how to interpret
the contents of /dev/pci?
				John

>The table gets used in pci.c
>
>	for(i = 0; i != nelem(southbridges); i++)
>		if(sbpci->vid == southbridges[i].vid && sbpci->did == southbridges[i].did)
>			break;

>Might as well try adding a new entry and see what happens.
>After doing that,
>
>	cd /sys/src/9/pc
>	mk 'CONF=pcdisk'
>	9fat:
>	acme /n/9fat/plan9.ini
>
>and add
>
>	bootfile=sdC0!fs!/sys/src/9/pc/9pcdisk
>
>to plan9.ini (leave the old bootfile= line too)
>and it will prompt you at boot to choose a kernel.
>
>Russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: VT8235 SouthBridge not recognized (details)
@ 2003-01-01 23:27   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-01 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The best way to interpret the contents
of /dev/pci is to run the "pci" command,
which shows the pci device numbers, vid/did pairs,
and config spaces.

The raw files aren't really for human consumption.

@ 2003-01-03  0:13   ` David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2003-01-03  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It should be pointed out that having your south bridge
recognized by the kernel is entirely optional.  It is used
to implement workarounds for bad BIOSes on a very
small percentage of machines.  The message that you were
getting is only a warning.

I'd be cautious about adding new types of south bridges
without first consulting the data sheets for the parts in
question.  Though the worst that could happen is that
you get a kernel that won't work.

* Re: [9fans] Re: VT8235 SouthBridge not recognized (details)
@ 2003-01-01 20:15   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-01 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-01-01 19:38 ` John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2003-01-01 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I assume that I am more or less on my own on this one.  I poked around
a bit in pci.c.  The VT8235 is reporting a vid of 0x1106, as it should since
it is a VIA chip, and a did of 0x3177.  The latter doesn't match the sb_did
field of the elements of the array southbridges.  I could just try adding
a new entry, but I don't have any clear idea what that will do.  Can anyone
tell me where the sb_did field of southbridge gets used?  It is certainly not
in pci.c itself.  Assuming that I do this--it can't do much harm as it is
a fresh install--how do I make sure everything which needs to be updated is
updated?  In particular, the error is first reported by 9load on my boot
floppy as near as I can determine.  The second error message I think
comes from the loaded kernel.
--
John Stalker
Department of Mathematics