From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: sblake@speakeasy.net, 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Questions on Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 controller and NVidia GeForce 2
Date: Thu,  2 May 2002 10:56:07 -0400	[thread overview]

> 1) The disk I want to put it on is hooked to a Maxtor Ultra ATA/100
> controller. In linux, this card is supported by the Promise PDC202xx driver.
> I notice on the supported hardware page that a Promise PDC20262 driver
> exists. Will this work with my card? I have downloaded the install disk to
> try it out, and this disk doesn't show up. Is this because it's an
> unsupported card, or because I have chosen the wrong options when creating
> the install disk?

It certainly seems possible that your card could be made
to work.  Try editing plan9.ini on the install floppy to
comment out mouseport and vgasize:
	#mouseport=...
	#vgasize=...
and then boot again.  This time you'll get a shell prompt.
Run
	pci
and let us know what the output is.

If you're impatient, you could try plugging the disk into
your motherboard controller.  We only detect the motherboard
controllers by default -- the others need to be identified
explicitly.

> 2) My video card is an NVidia GeForce 2. It's not listed as explicitly
> supported or unsupported. Will this work with one of the other NVidia
> drivers? When I ran the install, I got a graphics screen, but that could
> just have been a VGA or VESA screen. Any hints?

You're all set.  There are no VGA or VESA drivers.

Russ