* [9fans] Re: 9fans Digest, Vol 16, Issue 18
       [not found] <20050812160028.473A51822D@mail.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2005-08-12 16:09 ` Unix
From: Unix @ 2005-08-12 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for the tips. The Adaptec controller is based on Highpoint
yes..HP370 and while it does work in BSD it's not exactly a reliable
controller, I had it running in a RAID0 in different BSDs and it kept
giving me errors and failing with the hard disk perfectly well in
health...I just have it in my system to get up to 100, the default is 60
in this workstation and since I can't use more than two drives with the
onboard controller. I was simply looking for some speed and backup when
I originally bought it...but in the meantime I've realized that even
gmirror seems to be the better solution, sad, I always thought hardware
raid was more reliable..anyway, thanks...I'll test...

Domi

9fans-request@cse.psu.edu wrote:

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 7
>Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:31:13 +0200
>From: Christoph Lohmann <20h@r-36.net>
>Subject: Re: [9fans] New to Plan 9, boot and install on Compaq AP550?
>To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
>
>Good day.
>
>There is an experimental ISO at 9grid.de[0], for testing, if VESA works
>or not. It can be booted as LiveCD used for trying out Plan 9. The other
>possibility is to use Drawterm[1] for connecting to 9grid and so try out
>Plan 9 as user. Booting Plan 9 from the FreeBSD bootloader should work,
>as there is a standard bootloader in the 9fat partition, in the Plan 9
>installation, the ATA HDD should be supported by now and can be seen on
>the CD boot, by the "dev A* ..." lines after "ELCR: ...". Each of them
>is a IDE device, that was found.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Christoph
>
>[0] http://www.9grid.de/plan9/plan9vesa.iso.bz2
>[1] http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/ (drawterm-*.gz)
>

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 8
>Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:59:40 +0200
>From: "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [9fans] New to Plan 9, boot and install on Compaq AP550?
>To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
>
>On 8/12/05, Unix <unix@dominique-werner.com> wrote:
>

>>this PC..I don't have a spare PC left, the hard disk btw, is running off
>>an Adaptec 1200 H/W raid controller IDE...Is there any way to get this
>>

>I own(ed) that frking crappy controller as well, it's based on some
>Highpoint 366/370 chipset, but is not detected by plan9 (including the
>experimental vesa and daily ISOs of 9grid.de). When 4th Ed of plan9
>was released, even Linux didn't knew that frking controller by default
>- only the BSDs worked out of the box by that time.
>
>In the meantime I throwed this controller out of the window (which you
>cannot even use for RAID0 in a "hardware" setup, it is actually
>incomparable with a real SCSI RAID controller) and switched back to
>the onboard ide driver which is recognized by plan9 and all other
>OS'es so far.
>
>I highly recommend NOT to use any IDE-hardware-"RAID" at all...
>there're better software based solutions...
>
>Regards,

* Re: [9fans] Re: 9fans Digest, Vol 16, Issue 18
@ 2005-08-12 20:40   ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2005-08-12 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> gmirror seems to be the better solution, sad, I always thought hardware
> raid was more reliable..anyway, thanks...I'll test...

The only IDE hardware RAID I've found reliable is the EzRAID from
arcoide.com.  It only does mirroring and only with two disks, but it
is hardware-ONLY so it works the same on every OS without any software
support at all.  It just looks like a single drive to the IDE
controller -- not all of Arco's products are like this, though, so
beware.  If two-disk mirroring with hotswap is enough, it does a great
job.  If you need more, I would use SCSI or software.

Disclaimer: I haven't gone through a "real" failure with one of these,
only simulated ones.

Micah