* [9fans] way OT but shocking none the less
@ 2009-04-06  8:48 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-04-06  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On March 9th SGI  was delisted from NASDAQ and on
April 1st it was purchased for just $25M by Rackable Systems.

Google will tell you more if you want.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] way OT but shocking none the less
@ 2009-04-06 14:37 ` Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2009-04-06 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>...SGI... was purchased for just $25M by Rackable Systems

I saw that.  It's a sad day when such an icon of the computer industry gets bought by some company I've never heard of for a (relatively) piddly little sum...

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 2414 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] way OT but shocking none the less
@ 2009-04-07  7:21   ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-04-07  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Not really. Rackable Systems has for long been one of those things that
were there but you never saw. And SGI's end was coming. When did they
decommission IRIX? Wasn't it some years ago?

I think Rackable Systems is going to focus on SGI's supercomputing
background and boost their line with parallel supercomputers. Just wild
guessing for fun.

--On Monday, April 06, 2009 7:37 AM -0700 Benjamin Huntsman