In short, you must configure your standalone server to be an auth/cpu server (it's already a file server given that you ask fossil to accept connections from the network). We have a lab running a fossil auth/cpu/file server and diskless terminals. Since It seems that you want a similar setup, I might help with the details. In the wiki: Consider [Setting up Venti] before you start changing the default installation. If you have a file server you'll want /n/dump, and venti is the usual way of getting /n/dump these days. [Configuring a Standalone CPU Server] tells you what to do to convert your fs also into a cpu/auth server. You should also read [Network Configuration] so that the server knows others. [Setting up Fossil] tells you among other things how to listen for network connections (i.e. become a file server). It also shows you how to add users to a fossil file system (you'd also need to create keys for each user (see auth(8) ). BTW, you might want to add extra devices to the cpu kernel config file so you could start the window system in the console while you're setting it up. If you need more help, or want to borrow our config files, I think we could talk off-list and then you might perhaps update the wiki so that next time people could now what sections (and which order) they should follow. hth