* [9fans] 'Compose' key and Unicode characters
@ 2014-04-17 18:12 Riddler
From: Riddler @ 2014-04-17 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello guys,

I'm toying with floating point and the possibility of making some
regression tests for Plan 9's FP support. At the moment I'm testing results
of computations that should result in +/- infinity and as plan9 is built
with Unicode in mind figured I should attempt to use the actual ± 0x00B1
symbol.

I'm aware there are shortcuts for some of these (including ±) in
"lib/keyboard" but I could not get the +- shortcut to work. I discovered
it's because I wasn't using numpad keys (I'm on a laptop), when I do it
works as expected.

I'm assuming it's because of the 'shift' key in between to get the + and -
symbols and I'm wondering if it is meant to work with shift or does it
intentionally only work with the numpad?

Regards,
Rid.

* Re: [9fans] 'Compose' key and Unicode characters
@ 2014-04-17 18:36 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-17 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm aware there are shortcuts for some of these (including ±) in
> "lib/keyboard" but I could not get the +- shortcut to work. I discovered
> it's because I wasn't using numpad keys (I'm on a laptop), when I do it
> works as expected.
>
> I'm assuming it's because of the 'shift' key in between to get the + and -
> symbols and I'm wondering if it is meant to work with shift or does it
> intentionally only work with the numpad?

it does work with my keyboard, and the usb keyboard i tried.
the compose sequences are processed after scan codes or usb
codes have been turned into characters, so i don't think it's
a keyboard mapping issue, unless + or - don't produce the
expected output.  that's a mystery!

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 'Compose' key and Unicode characters
@ 2014-04-17 19:46 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2014-04-17 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

re FP tests,

maybe this will do what you want:

http://www.netlib.org/paranoia/

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] 'Compose' key and Unicode characters
@ 2014-04-17 19:53   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-04-17 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, 9fans

On Thu Apr 17 15:47:38 EDT 2014, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> re FP tests,
>
> maybe this will do what you want:
>
> http://www.netlib.org/paranoia/

i forwarded him a copy of that, lightly modified for p9.

- erik