From: "Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] ape/psh can't exec in 9vx
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:56:14 +0100	[thread overview]

I may be wrong but I assumed the problem with replica was that unless you run 9vx
setuid to root and trust the permssion checking in the host interface there is
no way for wstat to change the username of a file to anything else that the user
who started 9vx.

aditionally there may b e no relevant host user to become the owner of the file,
e.g. bootes or glenda.

If it is just limitations of the host filesystem emulating a 9p server then replica
should work fine when it uses a seperate fossil disk partition rather than a host
filesystem.

If I am right you could always add a file which contains extra metadata not stored
in the host filesystem (e.g. the append bit, the 't' bit (don't venti) and of
course owner and group - overriding the owner and group from the native filesystem.

wether this is worth the effort... thats another question.

alternatively the 9vx host filesystem interface or replica itself could be hacked to
be less strict when wstats()ing.

then again I may have the wrong end of the stick completely.

-Steve