* [9fans] Plan 9 Logo Font
@ 2008-05-06 20:52 Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2008-05-06 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For anyone who cares the "plan 9"  text on the cover of the manuals is
Industria LT Std Solid .  Industria was designed by Neville Brody for
a 80's pop culture magazine called "The Face" while he was Art
Director there.

Ian

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Logo Font
@ 2008-05-06 21:33 ` Rob Pike
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rob Pike @ 2008-05-06 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I care and I am confused.  Which edition of the manuals are you referring to?

-rob

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Michaelian Ennis
<michaelian.ennis@gmail.com> wrote:
> For anyone who cares the "plan 9"  text on the cover of the manuals is
> Industria LT Std Solid .  Industria was designed by Neville Brody for
> a 80's pop culture magazine called "The Face" while he was Art
> Director there.
>
> Ian

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Logo Font
@ 2008-05-06 21:48   ` Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2008-05-06 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Oh, I should have been more specific.  I meant the third and fourth
edition.  I see that the second edition is different, and the only
copy of the first edition I could find in our shop says simply:
" BE  L
Programmer's Man"

Ian

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:
> I care and I am confused.  Which edition of the manuals are you referring to?
>
>  -rob
>

>  On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Michaelian Ennis
>  <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > For anyone who cares the "plan 9"  text on the cover of the manuals is
>  > Industria LT Std Solid .  Industria was designed by Neville Brody for
>  > a 80's pop culture magazine called "The Face" while he was Art
>  > Director there.
>  >
>  > Ian
>  >
>  >

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Logo Font
@ 2008-05-06 21:51   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-05-06 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> For anyone who cares the "plan 9"  text on the cover of the manuals is
>> Industria LT Std Solid .  Industria was designed by Neville Brody for ...

> I care and I am confused.  Which edition of the manuals are you referring to?

looking at the images, i'm fairly sure it's the Fourth Edition ones Vita Nuova printed

Wikipedia notes (so it must be true) that
"Brody's team launched a new look for the champagne brand Dom Pérignon in February 2007, having been appointed in 2004 to help the brand with its strategy and repositioning".

Oh come on. All they had to do was make better, less pretentious Champagne.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Logo Font
@ 2008-05-07  0:24   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-05-07  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The covers of the manuals on the vol1.pdf in /sys/man and in the
vol2.pdf in my contrib dir (/n/sources/contrib/pietro) is the same ol'
Lucida Sans. It's a nice font family. My question is why it lacks fs,
ffs, etc. You'll see Peter's face in the back of the troff manual
where they should be.

Is that - Industrial LT Std Solid - the same font used in the logo
with Glenda on a black background?

On May 6, 2008, at 5:33 PM, Rob Pike wrote:

> I care and I am confused.  Which edition of the manuals are you
> referring to?
>
> -rob
>
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Michaelian Ennis
> <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For anyone who cares the "plan 9"  text on the cover of the manuals
>> is
>> Industria LT Std Solid .  Industria was designed by Neville Brody for
>> a 80's pop culture magazine called "The Face" while he was Art
>> Director there.
>>
>> Ian

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Logo Font
@ 2008-05-07  8:17     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-05-07  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The covers of the manuals on the vol1.pdf in /sys/man and in the
> vol2.pdf in my contrib dir (/n/sources/contrib/pietro) is the same ol'
> Lucida Sans.

That's inside the cover that Michaelian Ennis referred to.