* [9fans] Installing Plan 9 on a ICH9 SATA controller.
@ 2008-03-29 17:46 Armando Camarero
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Armando Camarero @ 2008-03-29 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I've tried to install Plan 9 on my new computer and I'm having trouble
with the SATA controller.

If I have AHCI mode enabled in BIOS:
 - Booting the install CD only gets to:
    PBS1...Bad format or I/O error

- Booting using a floppy:
    9load seems to load fine, and it even detects the SATA controller
printing
    sdiahci: drive 0 in state ready after 0 resets
    (it does the same for drive 1, wich should be the DVD drive).

But it only lists fd0 as valid boot source.

Following advice from people in #plan9 I disabled AHCI mode and went for
legacy mode:
- Install CD booted fine. I could even partition the hard disk. But it
can't copy files as it begins throwing lots of I/O errrors while copying
files. I tried with DMA enabled and disabled.

I switched back to AHCI mode and tried booting the floppy again. Now it
shows fd0 and sdE0!9fat as boot devices (9fat partiton is empty, so I
can't boot). It seems in AHCI mode it can access hard disk just fine,
but it can't access the DVD drive.

Both hard disk and DVD drive are connected via SATA to the ICH9 controller.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Armando.