I think upas/fs wont read messages before it's needed when using imap. At least, I remember changing it do work that way (Hmm, I think it required also a change in acme Mail, but I'm not sure). It's loooong since I used that feature for the last time, so I'm not sure about what's upas/fs doing. Also, IIRC, you have to read all the messages if you're using pop instead of imap. Once the message is here, reading it into ram is not a serious problem unless you keep many many messages or very big ones.