* Re: [9fans] nvidia scrolling performance
@ 2006-05-01  0:52 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-05-01  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i only have a pci card, but someone with an agp card and a machine that
allows bios-controlled agp bandwidth could eliminate some possibilities.
if it's bus limited, then the total performance should be linear in agp
bus speed, right?  of course we still wouldn't know which direction on
the bus was limiting.

perhaps it's time to add another machine to the second-hand hardware collection.
;-)

pci-x (1.066G/s) has the same bandwidth as PCIe x4 (1G/s).
PCIe SLI = 2 * 16x = 8G/s, which ought to be enough for just about anyone.

- erik

@ 2006-05-05 18:08 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-05-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

perhaps there is some database-related literature that would be helpful?
SQL is the closest analog i can think of.

- erik

@ 2006-05-05 17:22 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-05-05 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the abstract for glift contains this gem:

	Glift enables GPU programmers to separate algorithms from data structure
	definitions; thereby greatly simplifying algorithmic development [...]

@ 2006-05-05 16:08 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-05-05 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

conversly, isn't doing gpu work on the cpu cpu abuse? ;-)
i mean we've got to have the proper caste system for processors
and unwashed masses of special assemblers.

- erik

@ 2006-05-05 15:46 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-05-05 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-05-01  0:30 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-05-01  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i don't think the extra multiplication has much to do with it.
the system load had esentially zero effect on the drawing time until
both processors were >100% utilization.  at that point, i think that
scheduling, rather than actual cpu usage. (there were occasional long
pauses.)  for moderate loads, the time was +/- 5%.

why does the framebuffer need to be consulted when the background is a known,
solid color?

as far as greyscale fonts go, both cyberbit and code2000 look pretty
good to me.  pelm does not look very good with my monitors large
dot pitch, and allows much less text in the same size window.
i used to use it when i had a better monitor.  also, pelm is fixed-width
and has too many pjws at codepoints that are important to me.

what to you might be slow and ugly might be slow and good looking
to me.  however i'm the one looking at the monitor!

- erik

@ 2006-04-29 21:39 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-29 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've been using 1280x1024x32 on an nv18 with a greyscale font.
graphics performance is good.  page is able to pan large images
smoothly.  however, for a ~1000x750 window, i get these numbers
with various other load on the system:

	0.00u 0.00s 49.32r 	 cat /sys/games/lib/fortunes		# system is idle
	0.00u 0.00s 50.29r 	 cat /sys/games/lib/fortunes		# load avg of ~ 0.5
	0.00u 0.00s 50.71r 	 cat /sys/games/lib/fortunes		# load avg of ~ 0.9
	0.00u 0.01s 63.46r 	 cat /sys/games/lib/fortunes		# load avg > 1

running the same test with pelm.8, i get

	0.00u 0.00s 1.08r 	 cat /sys/games/lib/fortunes